Migration has always been a complex area that is subjected to the constant fulfillment of subsequent government’s policies and priorities.

Student visa (subclass 500)


This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution.​


​You must have:

  • applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
  • organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.

  • Apply Now

About this Visa

This visa is for students who want to come to Australia to study at a registered education institution.


    You can study a registered full-time course in Australia. Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.

Genuine Temporary Entrant

  • Immigration history of applicant
  • Potential circumstances of applicant after moving to Australia
  • Existing environment in applicant’s country of origin
  • Existing environment in applicant’s country of origin
  • Any other relevant factors that might influence your Australian immigration

Basic Requirements

  • Offer of enrolment for a full-time course offered by an Australian education provider registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • Must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application if you are lodging an application onshore.
  • Your individual circumstances must demonstrate that you genuinely intend to stay in Australia temporarily and do not want to seek permanent residence.
  • Must have sufficient funds to pay for travel, tuition and living expenses for yourself, and your family unit, whether or not accopanying you to Australia.
  • Satisfy specified health and character requiremnts which may vary based on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia.
  • Must obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance.
  • Your education provider has to accept that you have entry level English language proficiency for your proposed course of study.
  • You must not have any outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia.

Student Visa Subclasses

  • Independent ELICOS Sector visa (subclass 570)
  • Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)
  • Vocational Education and Training Sector visa (subclass 572)
  • Higher Education Sector visa (subclass 573)
  • Postgraduate Research Sector visa (subclass 574)
  • Non Award Sector visa (subclass 575)
  • Foreign Affairs or Defense Sector visa (subclass 576)
  • Student Guardian visa (subclass 580)
  • Training and Research visa (subclass 402)

Visa Conditions

8202 You must maintain enrolment in a registered course, and meet the course academic requirements.

8533 You must notify your education provider or your address in Australia, any change of address or any change of education provider.

8105 Once you begin your course of study you can work for up to 40 hours each fortnight during semester. No work limits apply during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider.

8104 Members of your family unit can work 40 hours per fortnight throughout the year, for the duration of their visa.

The following conditions may apply in some circumstances:

8534 This is a ‘no further stay’ condition. This means that after entering Australia you will not be entitled to be granted any other visa while you remain in Australia (apart from a Graduate-Skilled Visa, or a protection visa).

8535 If you are sponsored by the Commonwealth of Australia or the government of your home country, you may be subject to a ‘no further stay’ condition.

Follow us